Friday, June 29, 2012

TEACHERS GIFT 2.0

I know in a previous post I gave some of the teachers dishcloths/washcloths and Bath & Body Works soap. This time for my oldest son's teacher I made her a scarf.  I was in one of my favourite yarn stores last week and they had a sale on.  That yarn store being Spun of course.  They are having an awesome sale on.  So if you live in the area, go and check them out.  Or let that happy knitter in your life know- they will thank you!
Anyways, when I saw this yarn I just had to buy it and make a scarf out of it.  Somehow it just spoke to me and said, "I would be perfect for Aidan's teacher!"  No not crazy or anything but sometimes the yarn just speaks to me.  Lets me know who they want to go to!!  This is the yarn:

Noro Chirimen:




I really loved this yarn except for one thing:  the Kelly Green patch that was in it.  It did NOT suit the colour scheme at all.  So when I got to that area I just cut it out.  I started to make the scarf but then really did not like the green in it.  So I chose not to use it.

Anyways... here is the scarf.
















I wanted to do a pattern that would show off the lovely colouration in the yarn.  So I chose to do a simple Mesh lace pattern.  I made it up- wasn't really that hard-only 4 rows make up the pattern.

The pattern is based on a multiple of 2's. 
Using size 5mm needle cast on 30stitches.
Knit 8 rows of Garter Stitch (knit every row)
Begin Mesh Pattern:
Row 1:  K5, *(K2Tog, YO)*, rep from*to* to last 5 stitches, K5
Row 2 &4: K5, P20, K5
Row 3: K5, *(Y), K2Tog)*, rep from *to* to last 5 stitches, K5.
Rep. Rows 1-4 for how ever long you want the scarf.
Next: Knit 8 Rows Garter stitch (Knit every Row).
BO- bind off.
Weave in ends.
That's it.  Easy Peasy. 
I used 2 balls of the Noro but could just as easliy have used 3 to make it longer. 
This pattern as is would also be great for any worsted weight yarn.
The fiber content for this yarn is as follows: 60% Cotton, 24% Silk, 16% Wool.
It isn't scratchy or itchy and would be great for early spring, fall or winter.

I hope you have gotten a little inspiration and I hope Aidan's teacher likes it!
Have a great day everyone!!
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment